4/28/2005

When I am Old---this is me...

When I am Old...

I shall wear Turquoise and soft gray sweatshirts...

and a bandana over my silver hair...

and I shall spend my Social
Security Checks on Exotic Fruit Juice
and My Dogs...

and sit in my house on my well-worn
chair, and listen to my dog's breathing.


I will sneak out in the middle of a warm Summer
night and take my dogs for a run,

if my old bones will allow...

and when people come to call,

I will smile and nod as I show them my dogs...

and talk of them and about them...

The Ones so Beloved of the Past

and the Ones so Beloved of
Today....

I still will work hard cleaning after them and
mopping and feeding them and
whispering their names in a soft, loving way.

I will wear their gleaming
drool on my throat like a jewel,

and I will be
an embarrassment to all,
and my family...

who have not yet found the peace
in being free to have dogs as your Best Friends....

These friends who always wait, at any hour, for
your foot fall....

and eagerly jump to their feet out of a sound
sleep, to greet you as if you are a God.


With warm eyes full of adoring love and hope
that you will stay and hug
their big, strong necks...

and kiss their dear
sweet heads....

and whisper
to them of your love and the beautiful pleasure of
their very special
company....

I look in the Mirror...

and see I am getting old....

this is the kind of woman
I am...and have always been.

Loving dogs is easy, they are part of me,
accept me for who I am. My dogs appreciate my
presence in their lives...

When I am old this will be important to me...
you will understand when you
are old.... and if you have dogs to love too.

(Author Unknown)

No comments: