5/26/2005

A Note from HACK....

I was very surprised to find this in my inbox...saying it was from HACK...because he died on May 5th 2005, I had just recently visited his site and wrote in the guestbook , to say farwell...after reading the letter I was crying and I am reminded once again, what a great man,he will be missed, but not forgotten... Here is the letter, I don't think his wife will mind me posting it for everyone to see, and learn from...-Bluewolfess

On the Passing of Hack - a heart-felt tribute from one of his many friends.



Col. David Hackworth

May 5, 2005

An American hero's soul left its no longer useful body today.

I say this because as Chief Bronson (a friend and fellow warrior) pointed out to me, Col. Hackworth just isn't someone you ever think could die and of course he hasn't. His exploits, deeds, good works and lessons learned will be with us always. He will live in our hearts and minds. His spirit will live in everyone who believes in this country and the men and women who are willing to risk all to defend it and each other.

It is said, "Everything on the earth has a purpose, every disease an herb to cure it, and every person a mission." From the time he was 14 years old, David Hackworth knew what his mission was, to protect this country and those who put themselves in harm's way to defend it. For over 60 years he never wavered from his mission.

When thinking of Col. Hackworth, it is quite natural for thoughts and comparisons with other great military leaders and warriors to come to mind. As I think of him now, it is a description of Crazy Horse by Black Elk that I think of the most, "He was brave and good and wise. He never wanted anything but to save his people and he fought only when they came to kill us and our country. They could not kill him in battle."

I was fortunate enough to know Hack as both a warrior and a person. His garlic shrimp was something I'm going to miss. When we weren't talking about the business of the country, we talked about his favorite topic, his wife Eilhys, or just E to all of us. She’s kind of a cross between a Den Mother, Drill Sergeant, CEO, Inspiration, Spiritual Advisor, Object of Desire and Super Care Giver all wrapped into one.

People use words like, "soul-mate", "best friend", "love of my life" all the time, but for the two of them, they weren't words but truths and he loved to talk about her. The story about the guerilla operation he conducted to win her over is a true battlefield classic for covert operations. He heavily depended on her for everything and enjoyed poking fun at himself for being so dependent. I remember a couple of years ago when she was in a car accident and injured her back. He called and told me (as he watched her painfully limp into the house, barely able to walk) all he could think to himself was, “Who’s going to take care of me?”

But he also depended on her because he could and she never let him down. Between the two of them, they were going to “out G the C!” They were going to out guerilla the cancer and find a way to beat it and damn if E didn’t find a way! Unfortunately, Hack’s body, after all it had been through, just couldn’t keep up and shut down. As has always been the case, E was with him at the time and he left in peace knowing she was there.

Going forward, things will be more difficult than I can imagine for E and hard on all of those whose lives he touched. For them, I close with an old warrior’s wish hoping it provides some comfort and guidance because I know it is what Hack would want:

“When I am dead, cry for me a little. Think of me sometimes, but not too much. It is not good for you to dwell too long. Think of me now and again as I was in life, at some moment which is pleasant to recall, but not for long. Leave me in peace as I shall leave you, too, in peace.”

Kev.



Thank you for your message



Eilhys England and Staff


No comments: